How can I apply for the main mentoring program?
We send out an open call for submissions twice a year for our main mentorship program. Please follow us on Twitter and Facebook, or sign up for our mailing list to find out when our next open call will take place.
I haven't finished my manuscript, can I still send it in for submission?
We require that you have a complete or near-complete manuscript in order to be qualified to be considered into our mentoring program. The work must meet the specified guidelines, which can be found here.
When will I know if I am accepted?
There isn't a set time between submission deadline and when selections are finalized, but we do our best to make a timely decision. Regardless of whether you have been accepted or not, all applicants will be notified of their standing. If you do not get accepted the first time, we encourage you to work on your piece and try again. We have had successful applicants the second, third, and even fourth time around.
The literary industry is a very competitive marketplace and publishers get unsolicited manuscripts daily, so if you’re looking to get published, it’s best to do a lot of research. Below are a few links to get you started.
- Association of Canadian Publishers
- Writer’s Union of Canada:
- Organization of Book Publishers of Ontario
- The Canadian Author’s Association has information on contracts, pay scales, and literary agents.
- The Canadian Literature journal has compiled a list of links to other Canadian literary magazines and journals.
- For playwrights, here’s an interview with Anne Gibson of Playwrights Canada Press from The Playwrights Guild of Canada website.
The Writer's Craft
The basic ingredients for improving your craft are read a lot, write a lot, and get good feedback a lot. But sometimes we also need a little bit more structure or guidance. The following are some links to various resources you may find useful in helping you take your writing where you want it to go.
Writer's Union Programs:
The Banff Centre Programs:
Playwright Development units:
- Tarragon Theatre
- fu-GEN Asian Canadian Theatre
- Theatre Kairos
- Nightwood Theatre's Write from the Hip program
- Cahoots Theatre Company
- Obsidian Theatre
College and University Programs and courses:
Below are some links to resources useful when seeking out funding, employment, career and business management ideas.