Diaspora Dialogues is inviting young writers between 16 and 25 to submit original short-form writing (poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, graphic fiction, or drama) to publish in Shorthand, our new online zine.
Submission deadlines for Shorthand will be rolling. Each submission must be in by 5pm on the 10th of the month previous to the month of publication. (January 10th for the February issue; February 10th for the March issue, etc.)
Please send submissions electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Shorthand Open Call Submission’ in the subject line.
Diaspora Dialogues supports the creation and presentation of new stories, poetry and drama that reflect the complexity of Toronto through the eyes of its richly diverse writers.
- The work must be original and not previously published or produced.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Fiction or creative nonfiction must be 2,500 words or less.
- Up to 3 poems may be submitted per month—each poem may be no more than 75 lines
- Plays can be short or must be excerpted to no more than one scene.
- Only one submission per category, per month. You may submit to more than one category. (Example: You cannot submit two short stories, but you can submit a short story and a play.)
- Submissions must include a short biography in paragraph form (300 word maximum)
- Submissions will only be accepted via email. Hard copy/faxed submissions, or submissions submitted by alternate electronic means will not be considered.
- Commentary/feedback is not available on submissions.
- Please submit all work in a single word document or PDF. Do not submit multiple electronic files, i.e. if you are submitting multiple poems, please include them in one file.
- Writers must be between the ages of 16 and 25 at the time of submission.
- You must be living in the greater Toronto region, which includes York, Halton, Peel and Durham.