I’m a big believer in projects. A project really is a challenge to yourself, a record of all of your attempts at solving that challenge, and, hopefully, a solution.
Here’s a simple project. Write a poem each day for two weeks. You can raise the stakes by:
- Setting a minimum line requirement;
- Swapping with a writing buddy by midnight each day;
- Introducing elaborate punishments if one of you fails to meet the daily deadline;
- Rewarding yourself at the end of two weeks;
- Writing in the style of your friend, of your favourite author for one of the weeks;
- Repeat but change the genre.